WP_w3all phpBB Wordpress 2.4.0 by email is coming. A test release available soon!

axew3
w3all User
w3all User

WP_w3all phpBB Wordpress 2.4.0 by email is coming. A test release available soon!

Post by axew3 »

Hello all!
The phpBB WordPress plugin from 2.4.0 and > will switch to the integration based on user's email and not by username.

!important changes:
1) it is required that user's can manage profile option, email change, ONLY in phpBB OR WordPress
2) like before, in phpBB it is required to activate the option to NOT ALLOW user's share same email for different accounts
3) allow user's registration only on WordPress OR phpBB, not both

As soon the first 2.4.0 test result to be acceptable with all changes that it will come with, a pre-release will be provided and also installed here as example. Would be nice if somebody will try to help on testing it under any possible configuration, so to come out with a bug free, stable, and awesome fully working new brand 2.4.0!

WP_w3all plugin will switch to integration by email: this is why and what it mean
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1562
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: WP_w3all phpBB Wordpress 2.4.0 by email is coming. A test release available soon!

Post by axew3 »

Re-started today to finish with new 2.4.0.

The main query has been improved, and what was divided into two different queries, unified into one single and faster.

All calls to main functions where username/user_login used to manage integration between cms, replaced by the by email way.
Many calls to retrieve redundant data, removed and reduced to one single.

It remain to check/test any feature and verify that all answer as needed, patching what remain, switching the code to the new version/way.

Test development version will be soon installed here and released to be tested out by heroes ;)
It is improved also under many other little aspects, which return as results, a notable speed execution increase: it is coming soon lovely people!
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: WP_w3all phpBB Wordpress 2.4.0 by email is coming. A test release available soon!

Post by axew3 »

So i followed changing relevant things, all is faster, redundant calls to not useful code removed.

Anyway i've think it is time to switch something more, making the integration easier under many aspects.

The assertion on previous linked post which say:
an user can login by email, also if the username mismatch on WP/phpBB
will NOT be provided for free on the basic plugin version.

Anyway it will maintain ALL and actual features: on linked phpBB and WP will be necessary that users exists with same unique username/email pairs into both phpBB and WP. When integration start, will be so necessary (like before) to check that there aren't in phpBB, usernames sharing same email or duplicated usernames, and in WP it need to be the same.
It is an easy do, using provided options to be executed via plugin admin option: Users transfer and check options.

The user ID 1 in WordPress and user ID 2 in phpBB will be excluded by default to be linked.
They will not represent a problem anymore, the option will be removed in favor of the follow:

will be added an option to avoid the WordPress password hash in the phpBB way, if the integration will run allowing user's profile updates (email and password) in WordPress, and not in phpBB (remember that since 2.4.0 user's profile changes (email field) is allowed OR in phpBB OR in Wordpress, not on both). If the integration will run allowing user's profile fields updates in WordPress, there is no need to hash the password in the phpBB way.
So will be possible to choose that if/when the integration is disabled, user's will have to reset their password, in phpBB or WordPress (it is actually that WP users have to reset their password).

.... .... i will follow adding logs until first test release that will be within this week i assume ...
stay tuned lovely and cool people!
DjPorkchop73
User www
User www

Post by DjPorkchop73 »

Sounding good so far! Can't wait to see it in action.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" -Bob Marley
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Hi!
The test pre-release will be available this week (with little delay) if all ok.
It will be installed also here (because what i concern of are not security bugs).

Any help on detect problems and reporting bugs would be really appreciated!

A little log:
the new 2.4.0, provide a new option in place of the "exclude ID1 and ID2 to be linked" (totally excluded, not considered anymore) that is "hash pass in WP or phpBB way".
This is a good option that add some more possibility, for scenarios on how integration can run, and respective results.
The option say this:
Password hash: WordPress or phpBB way
Choosing to hash passwords in phpBB mode, when/if integration disabled, WordPress users will have to reset their password to correctly login into WordPress (because maybe (maybe not) the password hash won't match). Choosing instead to hash passwords in the WordPress way, phpBB users will have to reset their password to log into phpBB correctly, once integration plugin disabled.

Important note: choosing the WordPress password hash, it is mandatory that you let your users log in AND update their password only in WordPress and not in phpBB.
By using phpBB hashes, users can login both in WordPress and phpBB, since WordPress with the integration plugin active, will recognize any phpBB/wordpress hash, while phpBB will not recognize WordPress hashes (if you do not add an extension into phpBB that could do this). phpBB hash password is the default setting (that's the default setting since ever)
Since it is (really) an easy do, to provide a fast few lines of code plugin or ext that when/if integration disabled, will provide to users the ability for WP or phpBB to follow on recognize passwords (maybe for a specific time, giving possibility to users to change it, and then removing this little plugin or ext after some time, or used while integrating, in phpBB to let users manage their passwords on both cms, even choosing WP hash) i will may do this sometime in the near future. And may it will be free for testers only!
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

The phpBB WordPress integration version 2.4.0-dev1
will be available within tomorrow. A new post will be added with the zip file in attach.

Can't enumerate all fixes, should had have do a log of, that are about session management, email, and functions until now re-checked.
Not all has been changed, but repeating calls removed and the code run with a minimum of resources. Faster.

The first part of this update, is about a normal default WP, i've still not put hands on the part about multisite nor buddypress.
That will be done to be tested, on 2.4.0-dev2.

Into all my tests, all run fine, even with externals frontend plugins.
Some functions have been reduced and messes all around cleaned up.

To help on test the new 2.4.0, need to remember that:
from 2.4.0, the integration REQUIRE AS MANDATORY
that users can register or edit their email, ONLY IN PHPBB OR WORDPRESS.

You can after change to the way you want, so let register users in phpBB, and not in WP, or viceversa, BUT
it will not be possible to follow like the by username version, that has been until 2.3.9 (note that 2.3.9 has been also patched to fix some issue discovered while writing 2.4.0) allowing users to register or edit email on both at same time.

Another important change to remember is that the userID 1 in WordPress and phpBB userID 2 (install admins) aren't linked anymore, they are not considered. Totally excluded.
The option about userID 1 in WordPress and phpBB userID 2, has been switched to Password mode option

Between today or tomorrow, may something more will return in mind, that is important to be reported.
Anybody that will like to test helping on detect problems, should test it with any plugin, reporting eventual problems in detail (what to do to reproduce an the issue).