Are new registrations bi-directional?

openroadsite
User w
User w

Are new registrations bi-directional?

Post by openroadsite »

Hi everyone,

I started my site as a phpBB forum and then added Wordpress to it. So most of my original users use the forum more than anything but my new users are more interested in my Wordpress features.

In any case right now they are two separate instances (not using iframes) but registration is only allowed in phpBB. This is working fine but creates a little bit of a strange experience because the interfaces between the forum and the blog are different.

So my question is if I decided to open up registration within Wordpress also, will this tool automatically create a phpBB user for them? Or does it only work the other way around?

Thanks!
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: Are new registrations bi-directional?

Post by axew3 »

Yes, with a big difference that you need to keep in mind:
users that register in wordpress, are immediately added at mean time into phpBB.
if registration done in phpBB instead: if it is not done in iframe mode, the user due to iframe and the code of it, is also added at same time into wordpress. If not in iframe mode, then when the user register in phpBB, will be added in wordpress when: he will visits as logged in wp side, or the first time he will login in wordpress. (so as admin you need to know this).

Remember that when integration start, any old wp user that do not exists in phpBB, needs to be added/transferred into phpBB.
And that any pair username/email need to be unique in phpBB.
Use the Transfer option (to be activated in plugin admin) to access checks and transfer options.

New 2.4.0 is on the way, with many improvements:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1566

P.s i suggest to install the plugin using a WP admin that should not be the WP UID1 installer, and that should have in phpBB an user with corresponding same username and same email, that should not be the installer in phpBB ID2. to avoid common problems may clear to someone more expert and not to someone else.

Read before to install:
https://www.axew3.com/w3/cms-plugins-sc ... tegration/

Remember that when you need to delete an user, you should do this in wordpress, then the user will be deactivated in phpBB.
If you delete an user in phpBB, then manually remove it also in wordpress. If you'll read the documentation, even if may little confused and bad written, you'll understand the reason why.
openroadsite
User w
User w

Post by openroadsite »

axew3 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:19 pm Yes, with a big difference that you need to keep in mind:
users that register in wordpress, are immediately added at mean time into phpBB.
if registration done in phpBB instead: if it is not done in iframe mode, the user due to iframe and the code of it, is also added at same time into wordpress. If not in iframe mode, then when the user register in phpBB, will be added in wordpress when: he will visits as logged in wp side, or the first time he will login in wordpress. (so as admin you need to know this).

Remember that when integration start, any old wp user that do not exists in phpBB, needs to be added/transferred into phpBB.
And that any pair username/email need to be unique in phpBB.
Use the Transfer option (to be activated in plugin admin) to access checks and transfer options.

New 2.4.0 is on the way, with many improvements:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1566

P.s i suggest to install the plugin using a WP admin that should not be the WP UID1 installer, and that should have in phpBB an user with corresponding same username and same email, that should not be the installer in phpBB ID2. to avoid common problems may clear to someone more expert and not to someone else.

Read before to install:
https://www.axew3.com/w3/cms-plugins-sc ... tegration/

Remember that when you need to delete an user, you should do this in wordpress, then the user will be deactivated in phpBB.
If you delete an user in phpBB, then manually remove it also in wordpress. If you'll read the documentation, even if may little confused and bad written, you'll understand the reason why.
Thank you so much for the prompt response! I actually sent you a donation a couple of hours ago, let me know if you did not receive it!

I'll wait until your new version is released before doing anything else. I have it installed on my site and it is working perfectly but I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue having all users register only in phpBB.

I'll keep looking out for the new version and test it at that time.

Thanks!
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Thank you so much for the prompt response! I actually sent you a donation a couple of hours ago
Yes, really thank you for your support, so appreciated!

2.4.0 is on the way!