2.4.6 pre-release logs and suggestions

axew3
w3all User
w3all User

2.4.6 pre-release logs and suggestions

Post by axew3 »

w3all_add_phpbb_user() into wp_w3all has been optimized to execute in better order instructions, to avoid wasting resources if anybody to try joke with the thing sending multiple fake requests (that anyway will never succeed).

The inclusion of the phpBB configuration file will be removed, substituted by related fields, into plugin admin page.

All shortcodes and widgets fixed under several aspect, the first would be to cleanup the confusion on files and make things more comfortable for all.

more coming ...

If you find out any bug into the just new released 2.4.5 plugin please report in reply!

axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: 2.4.6 pre-release logs and suggestions

Post by axew3 »

On next wp 5.9 the phpBB config.php file inclusion logic present problems and do not work properly.

The config admin page is on the way to be fixed together with all the logic about config file inclusion.
And will be possible to follow including default or config.php phpBB file, but also to setup database connection values, directly into plugin admin page, with easy. If not concerned about security risks because the database where the password of phpBB will be stored is in clear, will be possible to use with easy this option.

And anyway .... any system superuser have control over your database, ftp, and can change or know anything of your server and the data it contain.
A secure server, the unique (and it is also not secure that it will be), is the one you have under your hand and where you completely control also physical access.
I'm impressed about how people trust various things.
I tend to trust only myself, and i will not care to store phpBB pass into db. An user that can access my db, probably can also look into the phpBB config.php file. Isn't it?

[EDITED]
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

While adding new option, the config.php inclusion has been also fixed for WP 5.9 > where the path setting (almost into my 5.9> test) after a redirect, loose $_POST data and result empty (so it is impossible to setup or change the path setting).
Most of the logic about this has been rewritten (and secured).
2021-12-29w3allOptionsWordPress.png
2021-12-29w3allOptionsWordPress.png (36.56 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

The phpBB config.php inclusion will be abandoned into next coming soon 2.4.6.
The configuration to the phpBB db connection, will be automatic into old active installations.
No action required.

New way to setup values for the phpBB database connection will be now directly into plugin admin.

This make no difference about how the code is fast.
A file inclusion, even if very fast, require to be performed.
To establish what of the way is the faster (that should be milliseconds) i would be curios.
get_option() (autoloaded), so a query to get the option, or include the file?
Since the path was anyway stored into a wp option, i assume that now we gain some millisecond.
The inclusion was happening by the way, after get_option executed. And now get_option retrieve more options that have been unified, not only db connection values. Should be faster-

All the code has been shortened again. And more fixes applied all around-
[EDITED]
2021-12-29w3allOptionsWordPress2.png
2021-12-29w3allOptionsWordPress2.png (31.81 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

It is intended that if using the iframe mode (which code will move to V6 soon), then the overall_header js code is applied.
Since it rewrite and reload any direct url via js, there is no need to apply the js url switch into widgets and shortcodes output when onmouseover.
So the little js code about this will be removed into default files, while the function and hook about this leaved in place due to possible custom installations using custom old files.
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

The verify_credentials function has been fixed about a discrepancy that was coming out in certain circumstances.
It has been fixed.
The entire function (except something i would like to change, about redirects when login happen in certain cases) seem to me perfect and fast as nothing could be more.

The config admin page is more comfortable (i think), and several fixes applied all around.

Updating to 2.4.6 mean also to leave the phpBB config.php inclusion.
All will be easier for anyone.
Old install will have to do nothing. The new option is auto-populated when plugin update to 2.4.6, visiting the plugin admin page.
The code has been shortened under this aspect and on next versions all the rest will be cleaned.

All widgets and shortcodes working on wp 5.9

Going to test all results, so 2.4.6 will be released

Stay tuned lovely people, it will be cool!

ps... so it should be faster
This make no difference about how the code is fast.
A file inclusion, even if very fast, require to be performed.
To establish what of the way is the faster (that should be milliseconds) i would be curios.
get_option() (autoloaded), so a query to get the option, or include the file?
Since the path was anyway stored into a wp option, i assume that now we gain some millisecond.
The inclusion was happening by the way, after get_option executed. And now get_option retrieve more options that have been unified, not only db connection values. Should be faster-