A new port of phpBB mChat into WordPress is coming

axew3
w3all User
w3all User

A new port of phpBB mChat into WordPress is coming

Post by axew3 »

OBSOLETE
1.9.5 has been released and the procedure is available here
Since a suggestion by xray, i've do a little hack to move phpBB mChat completely embedded and fully working in wordpress, linked between WordPress and phpBB. The result seem to be ok and is that mChat display in wordpress and work linked between wordpress and phpBB. Users can chat in phpBB side with users that maybe are instead chatting in wp side and viceversa.
You'll use as shortcode into any wp post/page or as widget.
So cool! coming soon ...
xray
User ww
User ww

Re: A new port of phpBB mChat into WordPress is coming

Post by xray »

Ok, mChat is updated and live on the site/forums. A few more things in place and it will be interesting to test
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

You didn't disable any mod before to update?
Hope you did almost backup of files and db!

I'm just over to resolve the pain in the a** about iframe and js trick parts of this js port.
It seem all resolved, except one thing that i'm over but still not fixed:
delete and edit actions on chat message, when mChat display as widget or shortcode in wp, not work.
All the rest i've find out a some complicate, but easy way to resolve.
I guess to resolve also these two last, and the final: when username clicked on chat on wp side, it should may open a blank page to the user profile, and not load the phpBB profile page on chat!
So all will be done: remain the easy part of options on plugin admin page, that substantially may will be:
display or not for guests?
display for which groups?
... all the rest can be added after, we'll aim to integrate the basic at first step.
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Completed just now. All reproduced and working fine.
I will start asap to add wp widgets and plugin admin option code: i created this part only as raw test.
The most important and hard was the js code and concept on phpBB side, and this has been done jet (js code to be added into overall_footer.html)
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Hi there!
All ready here for a test xray!
Did you resolved mChat issue on updating?

The mChat integration port is +- ready to be published, i assume i will do in just few hours more.
I will take a look now to finish WP code and all is ready as is, with direct option on widget, for option "display chat only to logged in users", but of course, this need to be completed under the aspect of: if option for specified group in phpBB will be to not display chat for certain groups, then the chat should not display in wordpress also ...
About this, i do not like to add this option, adding more data to retrieve on the main query that execute each time a wp page reload.
I prefer at moment maintain this joke completely separated, at cost of just one single query.

The procedure, will require to edit one file in an mchat file, adding just 3 lines of code into specific template point. Just 3 js lines that can be avoided if mChat author will little change template adding just a var (i will explain after better this aspect) or we find out another way, that i'm sure already is in place, but i've not still discover. I will aim to avoid this step as soon in a way or another.
A single little function need to be added into overall_footer.html js code.

If not already added the iframeResizer.contentWindow.min.js into the phpBB root folder, because using the integration without iframe, then will be necessary to add this file into phpBB root, like the iframe require (because the chat will be iframed into wp).
It work like a charm.

On wp side, it is just necessary to activate the widget with needed options.
coming so soon!
xray
User ww
User ww

Post by xray »

Yes, mChat is working awesome right in iFrame for me and ready to test