Banned user problem

Cliff Evans
User w
User w

Banned user problem

Post by Cliff Evans »

Since the latest update, when I log in to PHPbb and then go to Wordpress my role has been changed from admin to "no role" in wordpress and I have to get another admin to change my role before I can login. and I get the message below. I am the owner of the site! I have been using this plugin for a few years now without problem. Have had to deactivate it for the time being.

Screenshot 2020-07-06 22.40.56.png
Screenshot 2020-07-06 22.40.56.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
[TITLE EDITED]
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: Problem with user.

Post by axew3 »

In the bottom of this page, there are all old versions which you can download then replace the plugin files:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-w3all- ... /advanced/

Anyway, it result to be very strange: if an email, or IP (are you testing in localhost and banned a test user with same admin IP??) or username do not result to be banned in phpBB, your user should not result as banned, this because, the plugin code just retrieve data from phpBB table, and check if ip email or username is banned in phpBB, and it can be done only in phpBB side (ban of an user into forum). The plugin just retrieve data, do no change nothing nor interact with anything about this in phpBB.

If the user IP email or username result to be banned, then it is set as norole in wordpress, logged out, and when try to login the message you posted appear. When an user expire the ban in phpBB or removed from ban list into phpBB, at first login in wp he will be re-activated in wp as subscriber and logged in.

Unique problem (non problem) i see is: after the ban removed in phpBB, if the user do not login in wp, but come from phpBB with a valid session cookie, due to a correct login after his username or ip or email has been removed from phpBB bans, the bruteforce block can happen, and the user is invited to re-login n WP. All working fine here into any test about this.

So sorry the question, are you sure, that the IP, email or username, aren't banned in phpBB?
ACP -> Tab Users and Group -> User security

Should be really no other reason that you come across to something like this!
Let know please
Cliff Evans
User w
User w

Re: Problem with user.

Post by Cliff Evans »

I can still log in to phpbb with no problem, it is just Wordpress that I have the problem with.
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: Banned user problem

Post by axew3 »

i've been not able to reproduce the issue: by the way from next version if an user belong to administrator role in wordpress or admin group in phpBB, it will be excluded by the ban check, so to avoid problems if for example, there are IP bans in localhost tests or in any other case