WordPress phpBB integration 2.4.0-dev

pennymachines
User www
User www

Re: WordPress phpBB integration 2.4.0-dev

Post by pennymachines »

Alessio, you are indefatigable!

Just tested latest dev..... Same result I'm afraid. :oops:

I have Automatically Log In: No for testing and yes, [wppb-register] shortcode on the Register page.
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

That's strange, i will come asap to test online if you agree, since here it is working fine, i'm quite obsessed by this :twisted:
this is the demo flow done into my win machine
https://youtu.be/SlqN_QXP6hM
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Waiting for confirmation, but bug into these mixed external plugin configuration has been resolved. This kind of problems can be easily resolved if will come out for any other front end plugin and into any configuration or different passed vars adding few lines.

The 2.4.0-dev6 will be released soon, or, if no bugs come out while deeply re-testing all things, beginning from a default wordpress, passing by buddypress and then WP MUMS, the new 2.4.0 will be so released.

Even if not all functions have been checked, many bugs, and i think any of the past historical that i can remember, have been fixed in the while.

The dev 2.4.0-dev6 should probably be a valid bug free "Release Candidate", anyway while re-testing all things into various configurations, may more fixes and code reduction will be appplied.

If anybody find out something, would be also useful to know any 2.3.9 bugs if exist, so to check that 2.4.0 resolved it.

Stay tuned lovely and cool people! 2.4.0 is coming soon
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Logging problems and how have been resolved.

!important MEMO LOG (add into wp mums help install):

While deeply testing WordPress as MUMS (multisite) i see there are many problems in the case users are coming from phpBB with usernames like this:
SewreU Yes-_
It is a not possible username on mums, since usernames can only:
"Usernames can only contain lowercase letters (a-z) and numbers."
then in this case, if on WP multisite, the plugin code will detect not possible usernames, and reject any further process for the user in wordpress side. It is a valid username on default WordPress (NO MUMS)

would be possible to resolve this issue on MUMS?
Do not know, we should see, i just see that this problem come out in mums now, not sure if it was the same on previous wp versions (but i assume yes!): if an user coming in wp as logged in phpBB, then the plugin was adding him in Wordpress, despite his username is not suitable for mums.

And a loop for this come out, with no errors: the user is added, the cookie released in wp, but a loop start, and there is no error to start from: the plugin find a valid cookie, set session, wp nullify... loop. No time here, to check and resolve another way, assuming that it would be possible

If you try to login an username like this, despite it exist in wp mums, it return that the user do not exist.
Unknown username. Check again or try your email address.
If you then try to login the user by email, even with integration plugin disabled, the user is logged in at first time, cookie released, but then immediately logged out by wordpress, without any error.

The applied result, both if try to login in WP or coming as phpBB logged in, with illegal usernames will be this:

localhost-wp5-wp-loginMUMS.png
localhost-wp5-wp-loginMUMS.png (31 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

In the few time i can dedicate these days, i deeply tested wp mums in any way several times, by default wp mums, and mums with 2 front end profile plugins, and all seem to work as expected, i have try to cover any found possible problem with easy.

2.4.0 will be by email not username: let explain the point.
Until it was by username, and phpBB setup with the option "Allow username changes:" SET TO NO and "Allow email address re-use:" SET TO NO, when profile update happen, no problem on find out if there is or not another email, associated with another username. An username can never change, both in wp and phpBB.

But since 2.4.0, since functions will search for email, and an email of an user can be updated to something else, then will be impossible to leave users update their email and register into both cms: it is necessary to choose. Registrations and email updates, only in phpBB or WordPress.

Anyway, i think i will start to try out the new 2.4.0 rc1 here online with these mixed setting, that will work fine (i want this way in this example, using phpBB to manage user's registrations):

let register users in phpBB
but disable phpBB profile email update module (so users can register in phpBB, and with "Allow email address re-use:" SET TO NO, and no possibility to update email in phpBB side, i'll be sure that email re-use do not will happen, nor change after registered, and since before to start (or follow) with the users integration, we are sure that username/email pairs are unique, we can be sure all will work as required.

Then i will leave registration in wordpress disabled, but users will have access to their wordpress profile:
where their email can be updated.

This will work nice, and this is the unique possible example on how could be setup the integration, mixing things (could be the contrary, register in wp, do not change email in wp, but allow email change in phpBB, but not registration):

or it is mandatory to choose: registration and email updates, only in wordpress or phpBB side.

Anyway the plugin code, will follow to check for duplicate emails or usernames, when these actions done:
profile updates or registrations, both if updates or users additions done via wp admin, or front end.
This to avoid any possible problem, for common installations. Low cost, so leaved in place.

But these functions can be easily disabled, to little speed up code execution when user's profile updates occurs. So may on some 2.4.0> will be provided the way to exclude some filter/action hook, getting an even more professional integration, that reduce to the very minimum code execution. It will be like to comment out something, but presumably will be provided by option to be activated (so when we really understood how the integration work, and when we are sure all setup/going fine, we'll activate it).

2.4.0 resolve all and any lowercase/upper case problem, that has been possible to occur, when old wp user's transferred from wp to phpBB, when integration start.

It also resolve the problem that an user Tester was treated differently by TesTeR (and may some loop occurring logging in with these users)

The 2.4.0 will be deeply re-tested again now, under default wordpress and into a wp+buddypress, then after all result with no errors and fixed, released ... it will be really soon!
DjPorkchop73
User www
User www

Post by DjPorkchop73 »

Hello!

It has been a few weeks since I last visited due to life getting real busy. I been meaning to try this new update out and test as well. I have a WAMP server setup that I can test on as well. If that sounds good to you I would love to give it a try. I will gladly report what I find and let you know all versions of software the server is running.

Ray
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" -Bob Marley