phpbb embedded on wordpress tempate install questions

johncummings
User w
User w

Re: phpbb embedded on wordpress tempate install questions

Post by johncummings »

That doesn't work, but at least now I know I'm in the right area.

Looks like I'm picking up the DEFAULT IFRAME width of 300px . Using the percent values for width and min-width are applying those percentages against the 300px.

Think I should just hardcode a width?

Thanks
John
johncummings
User w
User w

Post by johncummings »

Now I have a dumb question after doing some retraining!

I love the User ID integration, but for the template why not just create a page and add HTML to it? Am I missing something? Or is there a functionallity that I am not getting using this method?

I simply created a NEW PAGE and added an HTML box with this code in it and it worked fine. I got all my headers, footers and menu's without having to change any code in overall_header.html , overall_footer.html or make any administrative changes in phpbb.

<iframe src="https://myforum.com/forum/" height=1000></iframe>

Everything looks great, so wondering what I'm missing not using your embedded template? Is it the fact that someone could now access my forum directly OUTSIDE of my website if they new the URL?

Thanks
John
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

John, i do not think you have the same result (and at this point also the idea of what it really do)
You can use the template integration or not!
The template integration is a thing, what the plugin do to integrate users, is totally another.
Just do not use the template integration if you do not want it.
Including an iframe your way is possible, the problem is that may it do not resize. But not only.
But of course, you can write your own code, better than this:
https://github.com/davidjbradshaw/iframe-resizer
and get the idea of mine into overall_footer.html and overall_header.html

Trust me. I am quite sure you or someone else can do best, but the idea i bring here, and that you can get for free, is practically magic and (modestly) unsurpassed ;)

Did you try the iframe shortcode?
https://www.axew3.com/w3/2022/02/the-aw ... shortcode/
johncummings
User w
User w

Post by johncummings »

Thanks,

I wasn't insulting your code, it is much better than I could do. I just don't currently have the experience to get it to work how I want it.

For now I will use the User ID integratation. This is awesome. I will revisit this topic a bit later.

This chat forum is for a small homeowners association. I'm trying to get them off of Facebook and on to a real chat forum like phpbb. If the users like the chat forum I will revisit this code to get it all working correctly.

Thanks for all the help!

John
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

John, no problem you can say what you want, also insult! May do not be so hard in case please! ;)

I think your problem is just about css, and you have (but i can only imagine as i can't see) to understand why your iframe do not work as you expect.
I do not know your age, may you are very young and in short you'll be (i am sure in this case) better than me, and you'll do better!

If i can help, and you want to pm me an online example link (if u do not want to publish it here in reply), i will help you on fly to understand issues for what i can looking on outputted page code

[EDITED]
johncummings
User w
User w

Post by johncummings »

Thanks,

I'm old! I'm an old mainframe systems programmer, not a web programmer. I've had limitted training in css,html, java and those tools. I've had enough training to get myself into trouble.

I'm learning that their is no substitute for training, so taking some time to do some training.

Yes, I'm sure you are correct that my issue is in the CSS. I'm re-taking my CSS training now for a refresher.

If the users prefer a phpbb forum over Facebook(I sure hope they do) then I will come back to this.

thanks
John