phpBB Newly Registered User bug? (no forums shows)

axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: phpBB Newly Registered User bug? (no forums shows)

Post by axew3 »

You are still 3.2?
I tested in 3.3, thinking if after done this, you have to cleanup phpBB cache into 3.2?
Strange, but possible?

I will reset a test on 3.2 asap, let know
pennymachines
User www
User www

Post by pennymachines »

I'm on
phpBB Version 3.3.2
Wordpress Version 5.6
WP_w3all Version 2.4.3
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Tested on 3.2.5 until 3.3.0 and all works fine.
Very strange. It is into your penny site?
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

axew3 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:12 pm Tested on 3.2.5 until 3.3.0 and all works fine.
Very strange. It is into your penny site?
Hey David, i had credentials to login and accessed to your ACP to check so on fly.
I've check for users you say added as newly and i've found 2:

so i've test out tester5000: as you say him can't view forums.

But what i have immediately see after is that your forums hierarchy is done this way:
forums_structure.png
forums_structure.png (4.36 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
where the Category cat/forum, the one that wrap all others, was setup as Newly registered users access, so i changed/tested to Standard access OR Read only access this forum. Now tester5000 can view forums.
Note that now, exactly as it need to be, this user tester5000, still can not view for example the 9/11 forum, because as you'll see i leaved settings as Newly registered users access for it.

phpBB complexity on setting up groups and permissions isn't so easy, but once the joke become clear, all works as expected.

P.s
i assume that if an user was created via phpBB and was able to see forums as newbie (i've not test)...
it is may (maybe) because, when an user is added via wp into phpBB, the script just insert the user without adding roles into a specific table.
And it has been coded intentionally this way, because it become hard to correctly interact with phpBB users groups/permissions db tables and data to fit any needs.
I know how they works, and how to manage to fit them for specific setups, but i dismissed this way, it can be applied activating 2 lines odf code on plugin, when and if required for more advanced requirements, that lately i never used anymore:
by default users from wp to phpBB are added with the minimum to avoid any problem. The user is added only into a specified group.
phpBB have a very complex way to setup user's groups and permissions based on a mixed flavor of things, that as said, can change based on options you choose to apply or not. That is very hard to do a script that will match any configuration!

This way works ever. Test out now!
pennymachines
User www
User www

Post by pennymachines »

Alessio you're a star!

Your explanation about how WP_w3all interacts with phpBB users groups/permissions db tables makes sense (as far as I can understand it).
I spent a happy evening studying the phpBB documentation on Permissions. As you say, it's not easy. I think I have everything set as required now after playing with forum permissions, group permissions, user forum permissions, group forum permissions, user roles and forum roles... :?

Thanks again for your help.
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Ah yes yes in fact ... let me say
Alessio you're a star!
especially at phpBB.com, where my account axe70 coming from February 2002 has been banned! :lol:

A moderator in it that do not worth the mention, do not like what i say and often closed my posts, or delete/close topics, ... after i did a specific post, in which i was insulting nobody, it is not my way to be normally, where i was just expressing a point of view, they started the joke ... Then i insulted him privately and gained 7 days of ban for axe70 by him.

I'm doing the phpBB Video audio to post Recorder extension. I will like to present the code and insult somebody again, and with reason in this occasion... I'm joking!