phpBB Newly Registered User bug? (no forums shows)

axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Re: phpBB Newly Registered User bug? (no forums shows)

Post by axew3 »

Thinking on this and making it clear (so i hope to find out moment today to fix loop preloader and udi1 uid2 issue on page forum, sorry that i have still not stolen a moment to do this, i want a moment to dedicate only to this, and fix once for all).

The integration plugin about groups, do not interact any way.
It is assumed that when an user register into wordpress, it is added in phpBB into group you decide.
But after, the plugin do not interact anyway in phpBB about groups and how phpBB has been setup to promote an user, or when you change user's group on phpBB (or wp). Each cms work his own way, there is nothing that can interfere.

So, i will go to test the thing, but in theory, if the way the user is added into phpBB and into a specified phpBB group is correct, all should work fine.
We'll see soon.
pennymachines
User www
User www

Post by pennymachines »

DjPorkchop73 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:56 am When I created my wife's account on my website, this is exactly what happened as well. However, she was able to view all forums anyhow. I created another account through phpBB as is how my website is setup and this user was setup in both usergroups this time and that account was able to see forums as well.
Sounds like you saw the same thing then.
DjPorkchop73 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:56 am I tried both ways to recreate a user not being able to see forums and I was not able to.
I think it's a matter of getting all your permissions set correctly, as discussed above.

When I first raised this issue at phpBB forum, this is what a support team member said:
It is likely that the user_new flag is not being set for these users. Without that flag, the users will not be removed from the NRU group.
Note that the users would not be "moved" to the Registered Users group, because everyone is already a member of that group.
I think the permissions problems (discussed above) with Newly Registered Users were caused because WP_w3all only places the new account in that group. The account is not inheriting permissions from the default Registered Users group (because it is not in it).

Normally (using phpBB's own account creation), a Newly Registered user is also a Registered User. When, for example, the Group Forum Permissions/Newly Registered Users/Forum 1/Permissions Post tab/Can post without approval is set to "No" and Group Forum Permissions/Registered Users/Forum 1/Permissions Post tab/Can post without approval is set to "Yes", the permission in the first group over-rules the permission in the second (default). Result - the user cannot post without approval until being removed from the first group.

I can't pretend to understand how it works "under the bonnet", but my guess is that there are two problems when WP_w3all creates a Newly Registered User: the user_new flag is not being set, and the account is not placed in the Registered User group.
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

This a light, the old way adopted and abandoned.
There are two tables where users groups permissions are stored.
Since some time, the code just add into one.

Ok, i will check this aspect, that was clear in mind when i said "i will give a try".
I know that this can affect. Let check.

Going to see the phpBB behavior, we go to exactly reproduce and fix, if this is the problem
pennymachines
User www
User www

Post by pennymachines »

Thank you Alessio. I will await your findings.
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

48_6646e0cb.mp3
(349.88 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
click the Play Button, that display on top and bottom to listen me!
you can reply with an audio too!

Use this to play:

mediaOnTopicButton.png
mediaOnTopicButton.png (19.98 KiB) Viewed 4694 times

use this to record:

on_reply-post-edit.png
on_reply-post-edit.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
pennymachines
User www
User www

Post by pennymachines »

I listened to your audio by clicking 48_6646e0cb.mp3 link and opening it in VLC.
New level of confusion - I don't see the play or record buttons you're referring to... Not in your screen grabs, nor the phpBB page in my browser.
And I don't have a microphone. :lol: